Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Open Blog 1


I have always had an interest in being green but when it comes to practicing it I have really only gone as far as recycling. Even when comes to recycling I really have only tried to put bottles and plastic in the blue bin that the city picks up and when there is one near use put water bottles in the containers around campus. I also try to keep the lights turned off when I am not in a room and make sure the water does not run to much. I do have to admit that this is more to save money than anything. Over this past semester and in part due to this class I have tried to be more green and even taken the step of thinking green. I have tried to make being more green not so much of a chore but more in line with saving money. I have found that in many areas these to go hand in hand. If you just start look at things different there are things all around that you can recycle to make new things. It amazes me the things that people just throw out because they are either to lazy or do not know how to fix. Also things that are commonly thought of as waste can often be used for other things. For an example my roommate and I wanted to add to are backyard as it was to shaded to grow grass. We decided that we would a patio and firepit in. We did want to spend a lot of money on it and I decided that it would be cool if we could make it for free and out of stuff that we found with it still looking nice. We ended up using pallets and bricks that we found and it turned out really cool and has been a real hit with friends. It is always cool to see peoples reactions when we tell them we did it all for free. 
 

1 comment: