Wednesday, February 13, 2013

blog #9


Deep Ecology looks at the world and sees social and ecological problems that are accelerating to a point where our very existence is threatened. Deep Ecology is the belief that the world does not exist purely as a resource for man's benefit. The world exists for its own sake. We are a part of this wonderful and diverse creation but we do not own it.
I would not say that agree with one view over the other. I think that they both have their places. Deep Ecology is a great place to look at how humans should view themselves in the web of nature however at this time I think that Shallow Ecology has the better chance of making the greatest impact on helping the environment. People tend to resest change and I worry that Deep Ecology is to far of a leap for most people to take at this moment. This may not be right or how things should be but it is the way things are. I agree with most things that Deep Ecology says but I think it is hard to believe that humans do not stand at a higher place in nature than other things. Just as the lion is the king of the Savannah, humans are the king of nature. I think it is our place to protect it and cherish it. I cant help but think of a Native American proverb that says "WE DO NOT INHERIT THE EARTH FROM OUR ANCESTORS, WE BORROW IT FROM OUR CHILDREN"

1 comment: